Friday, May 15, 2015

My Thoughts on Behavior Charts

Hello readers :)

So recently I implemented a behavior chart with one of my clients, and I believe that it was the most appropriate choice for his behavior. 

I'm writing this blog post to challenge you in your practice:

When is the right time for behavior charts?

Here are the questions that I asked myself before I had implemented this chart with my client:


  • Has my client learned good coping skills to be able to change his behaviors at home?
  • Do my client and I have a good rapport so when I implement this behavior chart, he will understand that I am not punishing him but rewarding him?
  • Will his parent do what they need to so that the behavior chart will work?
  • Am I able to create the behavior chart so that my client will be excited to take part in it?
I was able to say yes to all of these questions, so it was the right time. My personal opinion on behavior charts is that they can be effective, yes, but only when they are used for the right reasons. I chose it with this client because he responds well to external stimuli pushing him in the right direction to positive behavior. Some clients do not respond well to that type of behavior. Some clients need to you to walk them through the changes that they need to make, and that's okay! However, some clients, like this one, need some sort of end reward to ensure that they will change their behavior. My hope, with this behavior chart, is that my client learns how to internalize their stimuli throughout their lifetime so that they will continue to work hard in school and in life to gain the rewards that may not just be physical.

But he's seven years old, so I cannot expect him to be able to accept these ideals to heart at this time.

I also do not believe in just blank charts. If you have learned anything about me in these past blog posts, it will be this: I have a bright personality. I'm very much in the mindset that if you make something fun and exciting, it won't seem like much of a chore. 

This is where I appeal to you as a clinician or a parent: do your homework. What does your child like? Are they into Minecraft, My Little Pony, The Avengers?

Make a behavior chart that is focused on their interests! The internet is a beautiful resource for you to find these things pre-created for you. It's really easy to find, just use the magic of the Google machine :)

The way I created mine was that every week, I ask my client's mother to pick three behaviors that she is looking for that week. I created a chart for her to check if those behaviors were being seen, and if my client is able to complete the three behaviors, he will be able to check off the day on his behavior chart. I have a copy of the behavior chart in his file, and what he and I do together is we look through the week and I praise him for the positive days that he has, but I DO NOT PUNISH HIM FOR BAD DAYS. I reward him for TRYING. My thoughts with this is that he needs to understand that it is not a bad thing to have bad days. He is trying really hard to be a good child, and with that comes some bumps in the road. I also chose some stickers for him and I give him the chance to put the stickers on the days that he was successful in being the child his mother wants him to be. :) 

This is my plea to you: Praise. Praise. Praise. When you implement a behavior chart, you are working towards positive behavior changes. If the child does not do the behaviors that you want all week, have a conversation with them. Explain that we chose together that it was a good time to implement this behavior chart, but you have chosen not to behave. Why? 

Put the ownership on them to explain their behaviors. If they need to be punished as a result of their negative behaviors, give them a chance to explain why they chose not to behave well and then give them a reasonable punishment that is connected to their negative behaviors. Screaming does not work. I know it feels great in the moment, but children will not learn from you screaming. (This is more a plea to parents and not to therapists, because let's face it- we know this already) Children are like gigantic sponges- they soak up everything in their environment and store that where it belongs in their mind. If you choose to scream at your child, you will start to see them screaming at others to try to work through their problems. If you choose to have a conversation with your child, you will see him having conversations with others to sort through their problems. A+B does equal C :)

Here's me having a conversation with you that I have had many times with clients- I do not have children. However, I have over ten years of experience working with children ages 1-18. Please understand that these suggestions come from personal experience working with children, not from a place of "I have a degree, therefore I know better." 

Thank you for reading, and please don't forget: I am on Patreon. If you love my blog posts and want to support me in my work, please follow this link to become a patron of my blog and donate: Patreon.

Keep planting the seeds of change in your little sprouts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment